Sunday, May 23, 2010

Oh, My Aching Feet! (NRA Day 2)

Second day finished at the NRA and boy I’m tired, but pleasantly so. I have experienced an intense amount of sensations and new discoveries today.  From tasting some spicy lemongrass faux chicken,  to weird gadgets that turn potatoes into long spirals on a stick that are then deep fried, to finally some super wine glasses that are constructed so strong that they can pound a nail into a piece of wood and not break. I did lots of walking up and down aisles with a barrage of colors and experiences exploding at every turn.

My day started out with a nice educational class called “Gluten-Free: Easy as ABCDE.” It was a panel with a variety of different speakers discussing celiac disease and gluten-free foods and cooking. This is also an area that I would like to explore more in my cooking and for my catering.

Later in the day I went to a cooking demonstration at the World Culinary Showcase. It was on simple and fun Turkish dishes. The food was lovely, but the demo was about as lively as a saltine cracker. I believe the chef was a “kitchen-only” chef and not meant for presentations. I respect that doing live or on-air cooking demonstrations in not easy. It is truly a special skill, to not only to cook well and have excellent knife skills, speak clearly, be informative and be entertaining--all while on stage and in front of an audience. This is what I aspire to have and to craft as my culinary adventures unfold.

So for now it’s time to sit down, put my feet up for awhile and get ready for Day 3 at the NRA. And since I’m also a student, I have a little homework to attend to as well.



Till next time, live, love and eat some fantastic food.

1 comment: