Thursday, March 4, 2010

A tasty dessert at Revolution Brewing


I thought I would change things up a little and do a restaurant and dessert review. Recently for one of my classes at school (Culinary Science), I had to do a report on a plated dessert at a nice restaurant.  The assignment was to pick a nicer restaurant, no Arby’s or TGIF’s allowed and order a plated dessert. We needed to do a review of both the restaurant and the dessert we ordered. We had to comment on the different aspects of a plated dessert as you will soon see. I hope you enjoy.


Revolution Brewery is a new Logan Square Bar-restaurant. Since I live in the area and it’s new, I thought I’d check it out and also do my plated dessert review. Revolution Brewery is located on Milwaukee Avenue just north of California. It's a  brewery, bar and restaurant. When I walked in, I was really put at ease. It has a very warm and comfortable feel about it. I picked this location because their online menu looked fantastic, especially the desserts.

The service was great, very friendly and almost over the top. I think because this restaurant is so new they are being very eager to please. I went with a friend of mine and we were seated in these awesome tall booths that over looked the bar and had a great view of the open kitchen in the back.

For my dessert, I ordered the cherry bourbon cake. Here is the description it came with: Cherry bourbon cake, Michigan sour cherries soaked in bourbon and baked in an almond-rosemary upside down cake with a vanilla bean cream. The dessert was $6. It arrived in a simple but elegant big white bowl.



The textures in the dessert were very good. The cake was soft and had a nice crumb to it. There was a nice crunch with the toasted almonds spread around.  The vanilla cream had a cool creaminess to it. The sauce spread around was tasty, but needed to be thicker and have more of it. It was too thin and soaked right into the cake and sort of layered there around the plate without a nice body.

The flavor of the dessert was fantastic. The cake was very aromatic with almond flour and rosemary. The rosemary was subtle and didn’t over power the dish. The light vanilla in the cream was a refreshing balance to the sweetness of the cake and the tartness of the cherries.

The color was attractive on the plate. It had a golden brown hue for the cake, speckled white for the cream and a bright red for the cherries and sauce. It was sprinkled with some of white with flecks of brown in the toasted almonds. I personally wanted a more contrasting color to make this dish pop more. The dessert was presented very symmetrically on the plate. I think my eye would have been drawn to it more, if it had been a bit off center and more care was taken in plating it.

The temperature of the different elements on the plate where pretty much the same. The cake was slightly warm and the cream was at best room temperature.


But all in all the dessert was very enjoyable and the service throughout was fantastic. I give it a 91%. I look forward to going back and trying not only more of their desserts, but the food on the rest of the menu as well. The rest of the menu had a nice variety of vegetarian, fish and meat dishes, which looked very tasty. 



Also they have their very own beers that they brew and serve which are only a few at the moment. But I'm sure they will have more to choose from the longer they are open. I was also delighted to discover they have Three Philosophers beer on the menu, which is a truly flavorful and potent beer that is newly a favorite of mine. I do recommend if you get a chance, to stop on by and check out Revolution Brewing. 

Till next time live, love and eat some fantastic food.

Revolution Brewing LLC
2323 North Milwaukee Avenue
Chicago, IL 60647-2924
(773) 227-2739

2 comments: