Saturday, January 23, 2010

Cooking with mom


So, this is the start to not only my very first blog, but my very first culinary blog. Which is even better! And you'll know that if you know me. My first memory of being in the kitchen was with mom making a lattice cherry pie the day before my fifth birthday. The pie was to be my birthday pie instead of cake.

I may not have too many early memories of my life, but the ones I do have mostly revolve around food. I have always been a good eater throughout my life.


Cooking since I can remember has always been a way my mother and I could bond. I have tons of wonderful memories cooking with my mother and with my Grandmother. From the start I have always been a bit of a messy cook, though always very creative. I think I justified my messiness in the kitchen, by actually making some darn good food.


I have had lots of great role models in my life for showing me the ropes in the kitchen. First and foremost has been my mother Etta who taught me the love food and always tried to make me meals from scratch. This was in a time when the microwave ruled and everyone ate those lovely frozen dinners. As I was growing up my Uncle Neal had a few different pizza restaurants in which I was able to sample the wares freely. I also got to go back in the kitchen and see how the pizzas all came together. I even got to learn how to throw my own pizza dough. Though I do not remember it turning out in one piece, I remember I was darn proud of what I'd done. 

And next on to my lovely Grandmother Fern, whom I love very much. Her cooking skills were a bit on the lesser side and maybe started in me the desire to do more.....much, much more. I think if she was still cooking and a bit younger right now, she could have been on the show"Worst Cooks in America". But to her credit, she did make the best lemon meringue pie I have ever tasted. And I believe she got the recipe from her mother my great grandmother Mary Work. Also to her credit, growing up I tasted Spam in every different reincarnation possible. Those are memories best left untouched.


Next is my dad Douglas, who when I was younger made some really delicious and very creative dishes. I remember in particular was his baked garlic cheese grits. He cooked them stove top and then put it in an red enamel dutch oven and baked it till it was pure heaven. I just remember to aroma of garlic wafting through the house.

But I am at my mom's house now and I must be off to make her some fantastic food. I will post again with pictures and a description of the dinner we make. Also I'll get to telling you what this blog is all about. So stayed turned into next time on ASHLEY'S GREAT CULINARY ADVENTURE.

1 comment:

  1. Good start on your blog. I'm loking foward to some lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete